Choral Directors' Guide to Singing
14-15 April 2020| 10am to 5pm | Guildford
Choir Directors – here is a chance for you to find out what’s actually going on with your singers’ voices. With a more accurate knowledge of vocal function and technique, you will be in a far better position to advise and adjust the singing sound. This two-day course will give you a firm foundation in the knowledge and skills necessary to get the most out of your choir. We will also cover vocal changes across the lifespan, warm-ups (what are we warming-up and how) and some essential information on vocal health.
“To fellow choral directors: if you get the chance to attend this meticulously-researched and beautifully-delivered course on the singing voice, then grab it!”
– Postural alignment and balance
– Breath management
– The larynx and the vocal folds
– The vocal tract: jaw and tongue
Day 2 - A Lifetime of Healthy Singing
– Vocal development of children: limitations and possibilities at each age
– Adolescent voices: recognising the stages of voice change in boys’ voices, teenage girls’ voices
– Voice changes through the adult lifespan: menopause and ageing
– Warm-ups: what are we doing and how
– Learning and habit-forming; motor learning skills
– Vocal health: looking after the voice in sickness and in health
£255, includes lunch and refreshments on both days.
Guildford – Venue to be confirmed, depending on numbers but it will be in GU2, near to the station.